Isn’t it great to know that it is possible to connect your Chromebook screen to your TV screen?!
Oftentimes you come across some great content or a video game on your Chromebook that you want to watch or play on a big TV screen. In addition, many people who work from home during this pandemic, want to present something to their colleagues in the office and use their Chromebook screen on their TV, to appear more professional.
Either way, it is a fun thing to try and if this is something you want to check out, keep on reading.
Bonus: Learn how to block inappropriate content on Chrome, or how to block YouTube in Google Chrome.
How to connect a Chromebook to a TV using HDMI port
Most TVs use an HDMI cable and prefer a wired connection as the best way to connect a Chromebook to a TV. So, before anything else, you must check first whether your Chromebook has an HDMI port and if it does, you can use a standard HDMI cable.
On the contrary, if the Chromebook does not have an HDMI port, you have to use a USB-C to HDMI cable or a USB-C hub that has an HDMI port.
To connect your Chromebook via an HDMI cable:
- First, connect/insert one end of the HDMI cable into your Chromebook port. In case you are using an adapter, plug the HDMI cable into the adapter and then insert the adapter into one of the USB-C ports on the side of your Chromebook.
- Second, connect/insert the opposite end of the HDMI cable into your TV’s port. The HDMI ports are usually on the backside of your TV, or on the bottom or sides of the screen.
- Start your Chromebook.
- Turn the TV on and set it to the proper input channel (eg. HDMI 1, HDMI 2).
- Once you click on that, your Chromebook will appear on your TV. You can also make the entire TV screen mirror your Chromebook desktop by adjusting some system settings.
- In the lower-right corner of the screen, choose the clock and then choose the Settings icon.
- Then, in the Chromebook settings, scroll to the Device section and choose the option Displays.
Next, check the box that is right next to the Mirror Internal Display.
Now your entire Chromebook screen will be visible on your TV.
How to connect a Chromebook to a TV (the wireless way)
Ever since people found out that connecting a Chromebook to a TV by using the HDMI cable is not the only possible way, they have been looking for ways to connect it wirelessly.
Of course, it has its own advantages so if you want to try this, follow the steps given below:
- First, check to see if your Chromebook has an HDMI port.
- Get a suitable adapter such as USB-C to HDMI, USB-A to HDMI, or mini HDMI to HDMP.
- Since Chromebook already comes with a display link build-in, you just need to connect the suitable adapter (abovementioned) with the display link build-in.
- So, open Settings > Device > Display and choose Mirror build in-display to start mirroring.
Now, you should proceed by adjusting the wireless options.
For Android TV, Google TV, and Chromecast Devices
In Chromebook, open Chrome web browser and click on the three-dot menu (top right corner).
- Next, from the list of options choose Cast.
- A small pop-up will appear with the Chromecast devices that are available nearby.
- To connect your Chromebook to the TV, click on your TV.
- Choose the Sources dropdown menu to select whether you want to Cast tab, Cast desktop, or Cast file.
- For an easier version, you can click on the three-dot menu and choose cast from the pop-up that shows and then right-click on the Chromecast logo at the top.
- Then, choose the option Always show icon.
- The cast icon option will stay on top of your browser at all times so that wherever you want you can easily access it.
Keep in mind that not all TVs support Chromecast. For all of you using the above mentioned (Android TV, Google TV, or a Chromecast) this method will work just fine.
How to connect Chromebook to Fire TV
In case you are using a Fire TV, there are some things to know ahead of. Technically, Fire TV supports Chromecast but the process to connect it is not as straightforward as the one with Android or Google TV.
But, there is still a way to do it:
First, open your Fire TV Settings from the home page to start the screen mirroring.
- Next, from the given options choose and click on Display and Sounds.
- Then, choose Enable Display Mirroring.
- This will open a waiting page in order to start the screen mirroring from other devices (don’t leave the page yet because this will return you from the beginning).
- On your Chromebook, click on the three-dot menu > Cast and choose the TV option.
That is all. Now you will be able to see your Chromebook screen on your TV.
Note: The difference between an Android TV and a Fire TV is that on the Fire TV you cannot mirror until you enable the display mirroring option.
Can I connect Chromebook to LG Web, Samsung Tizen or Roku?
In case you are using any of these options, then you are out of luck. Unfortunately, Chromecast won’t work.
Apart from this, you can also learn how to transfer data from an old Chromebook to a new one - this is especially important to know in order not to lose track of your work or studies.