Google Calendar is a really helpful app for organizing your tasks and errands. Except for creating tasks and keeping your individual calendar, Google Calendar also allows you to create and share a calendar with your organization, friends or family.
We know that organizing your schedule can be a bit of a challenge, let alone aligning it with your coworkers, friends and family members.
This is why in this article we are explaining how to create a shared Google Calendar if you need it for the workplace, or how to create a shared family Google Calendar, if you want to have your whole family schedule on point.
How to create a shared Google Calendar
- Open the Google Calendar in the browser. Unfortunately, there is no option to create a shared calendar in the mobile app.
- Find the Other Calendars section, which is right below the My Calendar section on the left-hand side on the screen.
- Click on the Plus (+) icon next to Other Calendars, and from the menu select “Create new calendar”.
- Fill in the Name and Description for the calendar, and click on “Create Calendar”.
- Once the calendar is created, you’ll see it in the left-hand side menu under the section “Settings for my calendars”.
- Click on the Shared Calendar and click immediately on the “Share with specific people” option in the left-hand side menu, or scroll down to the same section on the screen.
- Write the email address or name of the people you want to share the calendar.
- Then click the drop-down menu under Permissions to select the view and edit permissions each user can have on the calendar. Select from the offered options:
- See only free/busy (hide details).
- See all event details.
- Make changes to events.
- Make changes and manage sharing.
- When done, and click “Send”. All users will immediately receive an email notifying them that you have shared a calendar with them.
If you want to share the calendar across the entire organization without entering colleagues’ email addresses one by one, you can do this.
- In the Calendar settings for the shared calendar, scroll down to the Integrate calendar section.
- Find and copy the Calendar ID.
- Sent the Calendar ID to all users within your organization.
Where to find the Shared Calendar you’ve created if you want to edit it
- Open Google Calendar on your desktop.
- On the left-hand side of the calendar, under My Calendars, you will find the Shared Calendar.
- If you want to edit the calendar name or change its color, click on the three vertical lines to access the Options.
- Click on “Settings and sharing” if you want to change the name and description of the calendar or if you want to add/delete users in the calendar.
- You can also change the color of the calendar. Choose a color from the palette or click on the + icon under the colors to add your custom color.
If you wish to unsubscribe from the calendar or delete it altogether.
- Click on the Options (three vertical dots) next to the calendar under My Calendars.
- Click on “Settings and sharing”.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen.
- Here you will see to Unsubscribe from the calendar or Delete it.
Learn more helpful tips about other Google apps. Read how to put images behind text in Google Docs and how to upload photos to Google Form from iPhone.